Thursday 28 July 2022

Thursday, 28th July 2022

It is now approximately 3 years since I heard the words 'You have Cancer of the Bladder.'  

Since that day back in July 2019 much has happened in the Country, in the World - we have had and are still suffering from the effects of a global pandemic, there is a war going on in Europe, it would seem we are about to face a Summer of discontent due to Public Sector strikes, very soon we may have our second female Prime Minister, and an England Football team are to face Germany in the Final of a major competition at Wembley for the first time since 1966 - yes for my younger readers people of my age still hark back to the good ole days!

Also during the past 3 years and depending upon which site one researches, approximately a further 30000+ Men and Women would have had received the same  diagnosis, that is a staggering 28 people per day.  Add to that the wives, husbands, children, parents and other close family members, nearly 40000 people per year continue to be impacted by this disease.

On Tuesday the 19th of July I attended the Urology Unit at QA Hospital (Cosham, Portsmouth) for my 6 monthly Flexible Cystoscopy to be carried out.  

In common with all patients I am positive that the few days, perhaps longer, leading up to this appointment awareness of the possible outcomes are heightened.  I was no different, so a public apology to my wife Denise for being a little bit touchy (from the Collins English Dictionary - Easily Offended, Over-Sensitive, Irritable), traits in myself which I have extreme difficulty in recognising!

It was with great relief that I was given the all clear, the nicest Bladder the Nurse had seen all day!!  to hear the words 'We will see you in 12 months time, have such a nice ring to them.'  Additionally I was informed that if any problems were experienced with the 'Water Works' I was to contact the Urology unit immediately.

I hope many others have the opportunity to experience the emotions I felt that day at about 1.30pm.  I can be emotional and could not hold back a few tears as I returned to the car to be met by Denise for a quick hug and kiss in the car park - haven't done that for many a year!

I appreciate that not all sufferers and their families will have the same happy outcome and for those I do feel extremely sorry.  I acknowledge that I have been extremely lucky, however in life perhaps we make our own luck?  

I hope that many of you will share my experiences with your families, friends, work colleagues etc as it was the early intervention, that in my case has so far led to an extremely positive prognosis - YES the cancer could return but I am sure any signs will be treated extremely seriously by our NHS.

As always I cannot praise the staff at the QA Hospital, Cosham highly enough, they were COMPASSIONATE, CARING and UNDERSTANDING in all respects Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment