Thursday 23 April 2020


Possible Cancellation of Treatment – Covid – 19 and Flexible Cystocopy
17th & 23rd April  2020

I am one among 1000’s of Cancer Patients and those suspected of having Cancer of one form or another that has had or is expected to have forthcoming assessments, operations or ongoing treatment postponed due to the Corona Virus

Understandably there has been some frustration directed towards the NHS due to the decisions that clinicians have to make.  This is unfortunate and I urge those that number amongst those having treatments delayed to read Vulnerable Persons Covid-19 this information was sent out to the vulnerable groups explaining the reasoning behind this decision was to minimise the chances of these groups contracting the virus.  

Those with a weakened immune system are at a much greater risk of contracting the virus and potentially have an increased chance of dying; the death rate of those in the ‘vulnerable groups’ is far higher than those free from medical complications.  According to the latest figures 90% of those that have died from Covid – 19 had underlying health problems.  Although I am a cancer patient my condition is such that my immune system has not been compromised.

The onus is now on the partner, husband, wife of those in a vulnerable group to help the sufferer to overcome the annoyance of this decision.  I am positive it has been for one very simple reason, to prolong life.

There is help out there, so please see Fight Bladder Cancer and the associated Facebook Group assistance and support is there for all affected by this Cancer, whether you are the patient, partner, son, daughter etc.

It was very easy for me to write this, as on the 3rd of February Mr Wilby (Consultant) phoned me to tell me that 'The Biopsy carried out on the 22nd January was clear.’  So my expected cancellation will be for my first Flexible Cystocopy since my second operation back in January 2020. 

On the 17th April, I received confirmation that my assessment on the 23rd April is (at the moment) proceeding.  This leads to another conversation that those that will be attending for treatment, what precautions to take?  I am hoping for good weather and have decided that I should wear as little as possible, but maintaining decency.  Take my own hand gel and keep social distancing in mind. 

I can only assume that individual Hospital Trusts are making the decision to cancel treatment or not on a Trust by Trust basis, so many thanks to Portsmouth Hospital Trust (QA at Cosham) for going ahead with my check-up.

I am extremely pleased to say that my outcome today was a positive one, no sign of a tumour.  I had said to Denise that we would go out for a meal to celebrate or (commiserate), that is now on hold!!  The parting words from the Doctor, I will see you again in 6 months, however any change in your condition then contact us immediately and the appointment will be brought forward.

Post appointment, clean hands with gel on departing, don’t touch face, clothing straight into washing machine, patient straight into shower!!

In case my appointment is cancelled between now and the 23rd I have made the following reminder to myself, ‘be aware of changes in 'habits' do not put off seeking medical advice.’

As always, I thank you for reading this and ask that you continue to spread the word, about this and all forms of cancer, getting treatment early can and probably is a life-saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment