Thursday 12 December 2019

Post Operation 2nd Review


On the 12th December I attended the Urology Clinic at Queen Alexandra Hospital – Cosham for a follow up appointment to assess my progress or otherwise.

To all those that may be in a similar position requiring treatment for, (in my case) Cancer, or it may be other illness or disease that is potentially life-changing.  I would urge you to speak with those that may be, or have been in a similar position.  They do not necessarily need to be a ‘sufferer’ themselves but the partner, spouse, parent or close friend of the ‘sufferer.’  Wise council can be obtained from such persons as I recently discovered when talking about my forth-coming appointment.  My colleague, no friend – just happened to say ‘As you approach your review you will have thoughts of ‘What If’ etc, etc.

Their assessment and advice was so true, even though I did not initially think I was being affected, however a few sleepless nights, a lowered enthusiasm for everyday tasks and similar proved them to be correct.  Thanks to thsse few words I will be better prepared for future assessments.

As always, the understanding and compassion of all staff was on display.  The reason for the assessment being fully explained. 

The area from which the Tumour was removed (18th June 2019) had clearly healed very well it was far less inflamed/angry.  The team however did spot an area of approximately 0.5cm that required further investigation.  They were unsure if this area were cancerous or not and the only sure way of confirming was a further operation.

This operation is to carry out a second Rigid Cystocopy and Bladder Biopsy  under general anaesthetic.  Initially a section of ‘diseased area’ will be removed for examination and the remaining area surgically removed.  As explained, this is a routine procedure and the amount required to be removed is 1/10th the size of the initial tumour, (5cm).

On completion of this appointment the ‘team’ again fully explained what had occurred, what they had found and that the next action would be a Pre-Op appointment with a follow up appointment to carry out the procedure in 4 – 6 weeks.

Finally they asked if I had any concerns or questions – only one – I will need to tell my close family, friends and colleagues of the prognosis.

I am pleased to say that their reply was a Positive One – so Denise and I will also remain Positive.





No comments:

Post a Comment