Thursday 31 October 2019

Post Operation and Treatment Review

Last weekend (25th - 27th Oct) was spent at the British Masters Swimming Championships in Sheffield. Although I enjoyed watching and giving the odd word of advice/encouragement to the small squad of swimmers from Fareham Nomads, attendance did act as a distraction to my forthcoming review on Thursday 31st October 2019.

To the many that came and spoke with me at Sheffield and gave me their best wishes for a positive outcome I cannot thank you all enough, it was very heart-warming.

It is now just a short 8 Months since I first became aware of something not being 'quite right'  and only 16 weeks since it was confirmed that I had developed Cancer of the Bladder.  Denise and I have remained as positive as possible during this time, so much so that we have only rarely discussed the possible outcomes.

We arrived early for the 8.30am appointment and I was very soon being asked if I was aware of 'why I was at the Urology Unit' after my treatment I found out why - unfortunately some older patients are not aware and also unaccompanied - perhaps a sign of their age and that they may have outlived their spouse/partner.

To those that may be a bit squeamish, or indeed perhaps apprehensive of knowing the outcome of such investigations; I can re-assure anyone that needs to have this type of exploratory treatment - yes it is uncomfortable but that is all, and probably life-saving!!

Within 30 seconds or so I along with the consultant I was viewing the inside of my bladder.  I could clearly see the area from where the tumour had been removed and as the camera was navigated around my bladder I was looking for any 'dark' circular patches.  Much to my relief none were found.

The consultant returned the camera to the area where the tumour had been removed and spoke about the remnants of the tumour, the point where surgery had taken place was still quite enflamed and 'angry.'  For this reason I need to return to QA in 6 weeks for another internal examination, however the prognosis is very good in that the consultant is 80% (and perhaps more) that my cancer has been treated successfully.  

There is a likelihood that at some stage another tumour will develop, but I will now be kept under review for 5 years and if necessary early intervention will be made.

As one of my Daughters remarked, 'Dad you have won the Lottery.'








No comments:

Post a Comment